cut on the bias

keeping an eye on the spins and weirdness of media, crime and everyday life

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

To write or not to write? In your Bible, I mean.

Do you write in your Bible? Do you underline passages, make little notations, draw arrows? Does having a heavily-written in, scruffy Bible mean you study it more than someone who doesn't?

That's a question posed in this post. The comments raise more questions.

I generally think that someone with a well-marked Bible probably has done a lot of studying, but I don't assume that someone who doesn't mark it up does not study. That's because I don't mark up mine. I find the underlining and notes to be distracting. Instead, I take notes in separate notebooks. I don't like to read from other people's Bibles if they're marked up; the underlining and notes sift the emphasis and range of thoughts I might have. I'm not always reading a passage for the same purpose as I read it last time, but if I've emphasized some aspect of it by marking it, it's hard to shift gears and read it for the meaning in the current study.

But that's just me. What about you?

2 Comments:

At 18/11/08 5:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do mark and make notes in my Bible, but I agree that that doesn't necessarily imply study. I have rules about taking notes in the margins with only pencil and underlining text in either red or blue ink, just because it looks cleaner. I tend to forget about other notebooks I've taken notes in, so it's beneficial for me to have everything in one book. And I enjoy reading other people's notes, too. I welcome additional thoughts because I certainly don't have all the answers.

 
At 9/12/08 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you mean to write or not to write on your blog? ;) Btw, I was at church on Sunday night and you were not. It's a conspiracy.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home